Scallops - Disappointing news

Somerset Diver's trips are advertised on this forum, but if you are just looking for a dive buddy or want to just get together for a dive, please feel free to leave a message here.

Scallops - Disappointing news

Postby Ken » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:15 am

There is a byelaw under the THE SEA FISHERIES REGULATION ACT 1966, which covers West Bay and the evening scalloping trips I use to run. So unfortunately at the moment the trips will not be restarting this year.
If I can organise something else soon I will let you know.
SCALLOP FISHING
27. a. When dredging for scallops (Pecten maximus) within any fishery the maximum number of dredges which may be towed at any time is twelve. All dredges must be fitted with a spring loaded tooth bar and the mouth of any dredge must not exceed 85 cm in overall width. No more than two tow bars may be used at any time and the maximum length of any tow bar shall not exceed 5.18 metres including attachments.

b. No person shall fish for or take any scallop from any fishery on any day before 0700 local time and after 1900 local time.

This byelaw does not prejudicially affect any right of Several Fishery under the Sea Fisheries (Shellfish) Act 1967. Here is the link to the site http://www.southern-ifca.gov.uk/byelaws
Ken
Platnum Member

Re: Scallops - Disappointing news

Postby Medders » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:51 pm

So what do you think qualifies as a 'Fishery', that excludes us from the sea bed around West Bay?
Medders

Postby Ken » Wed May 02, 2012 8:47 pm

Unless otherwise stated the byelaws shall apply to the whole extent of the Southern IFCA District (hereinafter called the District) within the three or six mile limit as appropriate.
Ian, I think this extract from the byelaw covers it.
Ken
Platnum Member

Postby Ken » Tue May 15, 2012 2:13 pm

An official confirmation from The Southern Fisheries Authority. Still awaiting a reply on what the penalties would be.
Thank you for your enquiry into recreational scallop diving within the Authority’s District. Section (b) of the Scallop Fishing byelaw, will affect anybody who removes scallops on any day before 0700 and after 1900, that includes recreational diving. If you are diving by hand then section (a) of the byelaw only refers to the dredge and how it can be used not diving. I hope this answers your question.
Your sincerely
Neil Richardson
Deputy Chief Executive Officer
Southern Inshore Fisheries & Conservation Authority
64 Ashley Road Parkstone
Poole Dorset
BH14 9BN
Tel/Fax: 01202 721373
Ken
Platnum Member

Postby Ken » Tue May 15, 2012 5:19 pm

Ok the update - I won't be scalloping after 7pm for sure.

1. The reason for having the 7 – 7 curfew, is so the fishery is not exploited during the evening hours and to fall in line with the conservation objectives of the IFCA, by limiting effort on the fishery. Both Devon and Cornwall IFCAs (Sea Fisheries Committees at the time of introducing this byelaw) also had in place a night time curfew. Therefore, Southern SFC Members, at the time the byelaw was made, agreed to be consistent along the south coast, by reducing effort and stopping displacement from other SFC Districts, by introducing the 7-7 curfew. It was also viewed that this method of restricting effort had been tried and implemented successfully, in Northern Island as well as Cornwall and Devon.
2. In the byelaw it states “fish for or take any scallop from the fishery,” this means, taking the animal from its habitat i.e. taken out of the sea, means taking it from the fishery.
3. The penalty for such a breach is now £50,000.

Neil Richardson
Deputy Chief Executive Officer
Southern Inshore Fisheries & Conservation Authority
Ken
Platnum Member

Postby scaff » Tue May 15, 2012 8:19 pm

Ouch !

3. The penalty for such a breach is now £50,000.

Looks like the price will go up ;)
Dive......'cause you love it

scaff
Platnum Member

Return to Buddy Talk