Somerset Divers Staff Day Out and Sue Came Too

Somerset Diver's trips are advertised on this forum, but if you are just looking for a dive buddy or want to just get together for a dive, please feel free to leave a message here.

Somerset Divers Staff Day Out and Sue Came Too

Postby Ken » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:20 pm

Somerset Divers staff had a staff day out without diving, but still out on the water. We were off for our Part 1 certificate at sit on top kayaking with Gwilym and Wet and High Adventures, http://www.wetandhigh.co.uk/ out of Brixham Breakwater. It was a bit strange walking past the other divers kitting up for the high tide, but we walked out with our kayaks, looking well experienced. Well that was until it was Scaff's turn to mount up, straight off the other side, legs in the air, not once but twice to the amusement of all on the beach.
Now it looks dead easy gliding across the water, but that Breakwater never seemed so long, then we turned the corner and straight into the slight breeze as we crossed the harbour. Most of us saving our energy and paddling hard but along comes Sue chatting away to any passing seagull that would listen, then wonders why she is getting left behind.
Across the harbour and we get to a sheltered bit for a breather, a few skills so Pete starts showing off, reversing, twisting, turning, yep and you've guessed it upside down in the water. Brilliant. Then 3 attempts and trying to get back on, yes pictures to follow. And all of us enjoying the show. Then we passed some professional looking canoeists coming the other way, pleasantries were passed, to Sue "Where have you come from ?" Sue "Taunton" there was really nothing they could say !
Then lunch on a secluded little beach away from the hustle and bustle of Brixham. Then time to paddle back, this time a slight breeze behind us and things seemed a lot easier, probably because we were nearly qualified experts now. Then we all had to fall off and get back on, now you know the old joke of getting back on a horse and you end up facing the wrong way, yep thats me. Got it right eventually. Back across the harbour and Brixham Bistro looming welcomely towards us. Back on the beach and a long haul to carry the kayaks up to the car park at a real low tide.
Gwilym a brilliant day, we were all knackered, I will be setting up a course for those interested very shortly, but us qualified ones are already looking at our Part 2 qualification.
Back home feet up and the first of several well earned glasses of homebrew.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Ken
Platnum Member

Re: Somerset Divers Staff Day Out and Sue Came Too

Postby SueB » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:10 pm

Ken..thank you for letting me tag along..albeit at the back chattering to the seagulls! I would not have missed a minute of it although being me, I was a bit nervous of messing up!...but even I know the pointy end of a kayak the front when it comes back to trying to clamber back on top! Remind me to show you on the next boat dive!! :mrgreen:

Gwilym really did us proud, and the look of glee on your face when I suggested that I could take a liking to kayaking as a swap for diving, was only to be superceded with Gwilym's look of dismay!..well, pleased to tell you ...I love both!

Really lovely laughs with everyone, and to see the coastline from the water was simply beautiful! We were blessed with clear viz and sunshine...and now have aches and bruises - but it doesn't matter at all!
Happy days! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Great to have a SD day out getting wet but without tanks....even if you didn't get a lobster!
SueB
Gold Member

Postby PeteK » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:44 pm

Hmmmm

All I have to say is it was a really great day. Strange being at the coast without dive gear.

Sue is now face book friends with some random people on the shore who she engaged with over a lost telephone!

Thanks Gwilym for excellent tuition

Pete
PeteK
Bronze Member

Postby Ken » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:32 pm

Pete, forgot about the phone, you're going to have to get on Facebook and you could see Scaffs photos.
Ken
Platnum Member

Postby SueB » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:21 pm

Gosh- I'd forgotten I spoke to them as well!..I thought they were my neighbours..they looked just like them..

Pete, I agree with Ken, you should get onto FB....there are some great shots of Ken facing the blunt end othe boat!

It was funny, walking past all those divers on the way to the shore..

Really lovely day, and Pete went for all the white/water tricky gaps! :mrgreen:
SueB
Gold Member

Postby scaff » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:59 am

So, after such a fun busy day yesterday how are we all feeling ?????

My arms are fine just me back !!

Here's another little snipit :mrgreen:

Having problems attaching video here, will have to shout Stu
Dive......'cause you love it

scaff
Platnum Member

Postby Ken » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:20 am

http://www.somersetdivers.co.uk/gallery2/108/1320051876
A few pictures to remember a fun day out.
Ken
Platnum Member

Return to Buddy Talk